Saturday 29 March 2014

52 Ancestors: Tale of 2 John Denis Christie's (b.1889 & 1891)

I'm back to my Mom's side of the family tree this week. My story this week is about two uncles with the same name! John Denis Christie and John Denis Christie are brothers and share the same parents, Alexander Christie and Margaret Ann Lagacy although they have probably never met.

My Great Uncle John Denis Christie (the first) was born October 8, 1889 and baptized October 13, 1889 at Ste. Famille Parish in West Bathurst, New Brunswick. His god-parents were William Christie (Alexander's brother?) and Mary Jane Daigle. It was difficult for an infant in the 1800's to make it to become a toddler let alone an adult. They had to be healthy with a strong immune system to be able to fight off all of the diseases that we are vaccinated against or treated with antibiotics to get rid of. I have not yet been able to find any record of his death but I can assume that he died prior to Jan 23, 1891 when his younger brother John Denis Christie was born.

Ancestry.com. Acadia, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1670-1946 [database on-line
John Denis Christie baptized October 13, 1889 - Ste. Famille Parish 


My other Great Uncle John Denis Christie (the second) was born Jan 23, 1891 and was baptized Jan 25, 1891 at Ste. Famille Parish in West Bathurst, New Brunswick. His god-parents were Joseph Christie and Mary Jane Daigle ( I wonder if this is a sibling of Margaret Ann? as she was also the other John Denis's god-mother). Was my 2nd John Denis born close to the death of his brother and he was given the same name to honor him? Did he grow up knowing that he was named the same as his older sibling? I wonder how he felt about that, was he proud to be able to carry on his name or was he sad that he did not get his own name?

Ancestry.com. Acadia, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1670-1946 [database on-line
John Denis Christie baptized Jan 25, 1891- Ste. Famille Parish


When John Denis Christie was first born they must have tried calling him John instead of Denis as the 1891 census lists a 2 month old John Christie as the son of Alexander & Margaret Christie. Not long after this they must have started calling him Denis as all other records refer to Denis Christie, in fact, he even signed his marriage certificate as Denis A. Christie not John Denis Christie. Maybe he thought his name was Denis Alexander Christie?

Denis lived with his parents and siblings until at least 1911 as he is listed on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census as a member of his parents household.  He most likely continued to live with his parents until his marriage to Mary Malvina Hachey November 4, 1914 at the church of Magdeline, Bathurst, New Brunswick. At the time of his marriage he was identified as a workman, this could be any occupation! On the 1911 census he was listed as a labourer in the woods, so presumably he continued this occupation for a few years.

Denis and Malvina started their family immediately with their first child born December 1915. With the birth of their first child on the way Denis must have tried his hand at farming as he is listed as a farmer on his first child's birth record. By the time his 2nd and 3rd children are born in 1917 and 1918 he has returned to being a labourer. On the 1921 census Denis, Malvina and their 3 children are living in West Bathurst in a rented single family wooden structure with 4 rooms and Denis is earning a living through various labour jobs. This is the last record that I have found that I am confident is my Denis Christie. I did however find Denis Christie and Mrs. Denis Christie on voters lists for the Bathurst area from 1935 to 1968. Since the voters lists only contain a name, occupation and area currently living I can't be certain this is the correct Denis Christie. However, there is only one Denis Christie showing up on these list when I search sooooo it is probably him. From 1935 to 1968 Denis worked many various labour jobs such as a janitor, painter and garageman (garbageman? or working at a service station?) and moved around a quite a bit as well, except for about a 10 year period from approximately 1953 to 1962 when he live at 685 Queen Street, Bathurst, New Brunswick. In 1968 Denis was finally retired! When did Denis die? I have not yet been able to find out, I'm finding it more difficult to find recent records due to privacy rules, etc. I really need to book a day to go to the Library and Archives Canada and see if I can find an obituary in the Bathurst newspaper for Denis or Malvina.

The first born John Denis Christie may have had a short life but the second John Denis Christie sure had long life filled with many adventures.






4 comments:

  1. I think I can help you out as Denis and Malvina Christie were my grandparents. Denis died Sept 19th, 1969 and Malvina died March 8th, 1986. My father J Alphonse is the 10th child born of 11 chidren, Dad was born Sept 4th 1934.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise. I am the granddaughter of Ernest Christie, brother to Alphonse.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great info Louise! If you have any pictures of them you could share I would love to have a copy. I only have one picture of my grandparents Frank (Denis's brother) and Laura Christie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda, I am sorry for not responding earlier, just read your note. I am currently living in Sydney Australia and do not have any photos of my grandparents. I will check with my cousins in Bathurst as my parents do not have a computer.

    ReplyDelete