Saturday 17 June 2017

52 Ancestors: Marie Christine Hache (1828 - 1901?)

This is my 40th entry! I'm back to my fathers side of my family tree, just in time for Father's Day.

Marie Christine Hache is my Great Great Grandmother on the Mazerolle side of the family.

Christine was born in Caraquet, New Brunswick on March 30, 1828 to Jean Hache and Sophie Legere. She was the second daughter to be born and either the 4th or 5th child out of five or six children (still working on confirming one brother). Christine, like all of her siblings, was baptised at St. Pierre Aux Liens parish in Caraquet. One of her godparents was Stanilas Legere, possibly her mothers brother, still to be confirmed.

On April 13, 1847, when Christine was 19 years old she married 28 year old Germain Mazerolle at St. Jean Baptiste and St. Joseph parish in Tracadie. William Thompson and Angele Hache were their witnesses. They were both living in Pokemouche at the time of their marriage. I wonder why they were married in Tracadie instead of Pokemouche or Caraquet, both of which would have been closer. Perhaps it was where the priest was at that time.

Christine and Germain started on their family right away with the birth of their 1st child arriving the very next year after they were married. They raised their family on a 40 acre farm (10 which was improved in 1861) in Inkerman. Their family continued to grow for the next 14 years with the addition of 9 more children  for a total of 5 boys and 5 girls. Their last child, a girl named Christine, was born in 1871.

Christine still had a house full of children (or could we say adults) in 1881 with 8 of her 10 children, ranging in age between 10-32, still at home. By 1891 Christine and Germain were the head of the household with only one son (Roman) and his wife living with them. Four of their five sons (I can not find any information on one son (Joseph) past 1881) raised their family next door. I am assuming that they were given a piece of the 40 acres that belonged to Germain and Christine. In 1901, Christine and Germain are still living with Roman and his wife, however, the head of the household is now listed as Roman and his wife.

When Christine was between 82 and 92 years old she died; I am assuming that she died as she can no longer be found on the 1911 census. I have not been able to find any records of her death, but I'm still searching. I wish I knew more about her other than it appears she was a hardworking farmer's wife who led a pretty stable life with family all around her.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this Linda..I remember mom talking about all those names..<3

    ReplyDelete