Saturday 3 May 2014

52 Ancestors: Sophie Mazerolle (1868 - ????) Inkerman to Chateauguay

This week I researched Sophie Mazerolle my Great Great Aunt from my Dad's side of the family.

Sophie was the ninth child (of 10 children) of Germain Mazerolle and Christine Hache. She was born in Inkerman, Gloucester county, New Brunswick, Canada in April 1868 or Mar 1869. I have not been able to find a baptism or birth record for her, these dates were listed on two different census records.

She lived with her family and contributed to the running of the family farm in Inkerman until she was married.  Sophie married Theotime Dugas on Labour Day, Monday, September 5, 1892 in Caraquet, Gloucester county, New Brunswick, Canada. Her sister Christine was one of the witnesses for her marriage. I wonder if they had a large celebration as it was labour day and many people may have been used to picinics and celebrating during this time.  Or was it just a small celebration as this was farming country and they may have been busy harvesting this time of year.

Sophie and Theotime lived in Caraquet until at least 1921 and had 12 children together (9 girls and 3 boys). Sometime between 1921 and 1955 Sophie and Theotime moved from Caraquet to Chateauguay, Quebec. I wonder why they moved so late in their lives? Was it because of the depression and they were unable to make a living? I would have thought it would be easier in a farming community instead of a city as they would be able to grow their own food and raise some animals. Did one of their children move there ahead of them and tell them to come to the city with them?

Clearly I have some additional research to do! I do not know when Sophie or Theotime died or which of their children moved with them to Chateauguay. I have never researched in the province of Quebec, yet. This will be a research learning experience for me when I get back to this family to dig a little deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment