Saturday 5 July 2014

52 Ancestors: Marie Theriault (1853-1950)

Marie Theriault is my Great Great Grandmother and spouse of Aime Godin. She was born November 6 1853 in Caraquet, New Brunswick, Canada to Benjamin Theriault and Celeste Young.

I don't know much about Marie's childhood, I have not been able to find any official records for her before her marriage to Aime Godin on Feb 18, 1879 in Caraquet. Was she the oldest, youngest or somewhere in between? Did she come from a small or large family? Her death record state she was born in Caraquet and her marriage record have her being married in Caraquet. I can make the assumption that she probably was raised in Caraquet. Clearly, I need to dig a little deeper into her family!

Marie was approximately 25 when she married 26 year old Aimi Godin on Feb 18, 1879 in Caraquet at the parish of St-Pierre-aux-Liens. It is from Marie's marriage record that I was able to determine who her parents were.

Marie and Aime started their family right away with their first child, Jean-Aime (my Great Grandfather), born in November 1879/80. Their 10 children were born within a year or two of each other except for a four year gap between their third and fourth child. I wonder if they had additional children within this time period (1882-1886) that died as infants? I will have to go back and scroll through the parish baptism records for this period to see if I can find any additional children baptised for Marie and Aime.

After the death of her husband, Aime, in 1909, Marie's son Aime became the head of the household (according to the 1911 census). In 1911 the only children living at home were Aime (head of the house) and Marie's daughter Amanda (born in 1891). At this time she also lived next door to her eldest child (my Great Grandfather Jean-Aime) and his growing family. I wonder if my grandmother had any memories of living next door to her grandmother, she would have been 6 years old at that time. My grandmother has passed on now, it is to bad that I never had a conversation with her about her past.

Marie lived the rest of her life with her son Aime. On the 1921 census she is living with her son Aime and his family and next door to another of her son's, Nicolas and his family. Marie experienced so many things in her lifetime; the birth of Canada as a country, World War 1 and World War 2 not to mention all of the changes in technology from transportation by horse and wagon to the use of cars and the use or telephones to communicate and the invention of television for entertainment. Aime reported the death of his mother, Marie, May 1, 1950 in Paquetville, New Brunswick of old age.


No comments:

Post a Comment